Monday, May 4, 2009

Sugar Cookie Dolls gets a new focus


By 2005, My little cottage industry was going pretty good. I felt so happy to have finally found something I loved to do and I could actually make a little money doing it. I was selling at a few craft shows, sold to a few stores and I had finally gotten a website. An article on my business was featured in THE STATE newspaper, then, in a local magazine, then my business was featured on an "In your town" on WACH Fox57 news. People just seem to like the story behind my business.

In the summer of 2005, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Was I shocked?...not really. I had mentally prepared myself as a safety precaution, just in case. My main concern, at that point, was making sure that my little girls wouldn't worry about it - I knew I would have to keep everything as normal as possible. It was especially bad timing because I had just had to explain to them the week before my diagnoses, that my aunt (that we were close to) was going to die - because she had cancer.

From the moment I found out, I wanted to tell everyone I know to get a mammogram. I started making pink ribbom fairies and attaching pink ribbons to dolls that I had already made. That experience gave my creations a new focus. I knew I couldn't remind everyone to get a mammogram, but having a pink ribbon on something I made just made me feel like I was at least helping a little bit. I donate $5.00 to the Susan G. Komen for the cure organization when someone purchases a pink ribbon item from my website.

Get a mammogram... it will save your life!
Have a great day! *Toni Kelly*happy girl!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment